Ready to make a Difference?
Since 1865 the Sparta Fire Department has made it its mission to protect the people and property of Sparta Illinois from harm and we are always looking for dedicated men and women to help. Being a volunteer firefighter is both challenging and rewarding and an excellent way to give back to the community.
Some of the benefits of being a volunteer firefighter with the Sparta Fire Department include:
- Pay per call
- On the job training
- Department issued PPE (Personal Protection Equipment)
- Extended personal and professional networking
Should you become a member of the department, you will be expected to attend all available training sessions and business meetings which are held each Monday of the month at 6:30pm unless otherwise notified. All new members must also complete a minimum 12 month probationary period and complete an approved State of Illinois Firefighter II certification program which is paid for by the city.
If you choose to submit an application, you will be required to take a written aptitude test, a physical agility test, and participate in an interview. Failure to pass any of these successfully will terminate the application process. Successful completion of all test and interviews will result in your name being placed on an eligibility list to be selected by members of the department and forwarded to the city council for final approval.
The minimum requirements for becoming a member of the Sparta Fire Department are:
- Reside in the city limits of the City of Sparta prior to becoming a member of the department
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid Illinois drivers license
- Not have been convicted of a felony (a background check will be conducted).